Pro ChancellorSeptember 4, 2022 2022-09-13 13:13
ALHAJA SEKINAT OLUSHOLA YUSUF
Sekinat Olusola was born 1st of May, 1953 to the Ojikutu family of Lagos.
She attended Ereko Methodist School, Lagos from January 1960 to December 1965 for her Primary education.
She went to New Era Girls Secondary School, Lagos and Queens School, Ibadan for her Secondary School education.
She graduated from the University of Ibadan with a Second Class Honour, Upper Division in Computer Science.
She obtained an MBA With a specialisation in Finance from the University of Lagos in 1991 and an MPA in Public Administration with a specialisation in Human Resources Management from the Lagos State University in December 2005.
Mrs. Yusuf was appointed as the first Honorable Commissioner for Women Affairs, Youth and Social Development in Lagos State from November 1997 to September 1998. In the course of her stay in that position, she completed many projects of immense benefit to humanity.
In September 1998, she was redeployed to the Lagos State Ministry of Education. She initiated new education policies in the State which gave opportunities to the good people of Lagos State.
• 50% rebate of WAEC fees to parents of SSS III students.
• Increase in bursary award to students of Lagos State Origin from N5,000 to N10,000.
• Payment of Forty Thousand Naira to students of Lagos State Origin in the Law school.
The Lagos State College of Medicine was established in conjunction with the State Ministry of Health during her tenure.
Computer Facilities were introduced in Lagos State Secondary School while Computer Science was also included in the curriculum of Lagos State as an examinable subject. Ten Secondary School were upgraded to the Model College status.
Her commitment to education inspired her to introduce educational franchising into the country after her public service. She teamed up with APTECH Worldwide to increase the knowledge and awareness of Information Technology in Nigeria. Also, she brought Informatics International of Singapore to Nigeria to provide quality training and education on Information and Businesses Management Courses.
Her company, International Learning Systems collaborated with the Lagos State University to establish Part-time External campuses which enabled working adults to study for degree programmes on part time basis. Over 12,000 people benefitted from the programmes and graduated from LASU with various academic degrees between 2004 and 2015.
She established Mobile Knowledge Solutions, a Company that is devoted to the use of mobile knowledge (Smartphones, Tablets) as learning tools to tackle the educational challenges facing the Country.
Sekinat is involved with several non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that take care of the less privileged and address societal issues in the country. The organizations include the Muharam Sisters, Fatima Charity Foundation, Life of Hope Foundation and Cosmopolitan Club.
Fatima Charity Foundation – Sekinat is the Vice President of this group set up to support laudable programmes such as
• Visiting hospitals to offset the bills of those who cannot afford to pay.
• Taking care of senior citizens in old People homes.
•. Organizing annual prayers for the Nation.
Cosmopolitan Women Club – a non-governmental and non-political club setup to provide assistance to the less privileged. It organises seminars and lectures from time to time to discuss issues affecting the society such as kidnapping, rape and the future of the girl-child. Sekinat has been the club secretary since 2017 after serving as Assistant Secretary between 2011 and 2017.
Muharam Sisters- This NGO was established by Sekinat in 2008 to take care of the less privileged with special emphasis on complimenting government efforts in looking after Correctional Center inmates. The activities of the organization include the following:
• Providing food for all the Muslim inmates of Ikoyi Correctional Center for Sahur and Iftar meals during the 30days of Ramadan.
• Donation of food items during Eid celebration to all the Correctional Centers in Lagos State.
• Collaboration with the Islamic Medical Association of Nigeria to provide annual medical checkup for all inmates of Ikoyi Correctional Center.
• Legal and Financial assistance to inmates of all the Correctional Centers.
• Establishing a School for the inmates of Ikoyi Correctional Center.
• Upgrading of the Ikoyi Correctional Center Mosque.
Sekinat is a Fellow of the Nigerian Computer Society, the highest ranking in the computing profession in Nigeria. She was elected Vice-Chairman of the Computer Registration Council, CPN (a regulatory body for the Computing Profession) in 2009 and served for four years. In 2013 she became the President and Chairman of the Council.
I. Member Board of Trustees, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin.
II. Member Governing Board, Corona Schools Trust Council.
III. Member Board of Trustees, Lagos State Secretarial Community Mosque.
IV. Chairman, Governing Council, Michael Otedola College of Primary Education.
V. Chairman, Governing Council, Lagos State University of Education (LASUED)
1. Professor SulaimanAbdulkareem – Vice-Chancellor, University of Illorin.
2. Imam Abdul-Rahaman Ahmad – Chief Missioner, AnsarDeen Society of Nigeria.
3. Honourable Lanre Ope – Former Honourable member of Lagos State House of Assembly.