Centre for Sports and Recreation
The Centre will be established and charged with the sole responsibility for the organisation and administration of sports in the University. It will provide facilities for different sporting events approved by Nigeria University Games Association (NUGA). The sports are Athletics (Track & Field), Badminton, Basketball, Chess, Cricket, Handball, Hockey, Judo, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis and Volleyball.
The Centre will provide a platform for students to lead a balanced lifestyle and gain new experiences and friendships through various sporting clubs and activities. It will be a place for sport enthusiasts to sharpen their skills, connect with like-minded people and participate in various competitions. The centre shall organize sporting competitions both among the Colleges and departments of the University and with other institutions. Itwill also organize various sports clubs for membership by the students.
The Centre will be headed by a Director who shall be a qualified and experienced professional from the Department of Human Kinetics and Health Education.
- To use sports as a medium of facilitating healthy well-being of students and staff.
- To facilitate the building of a healthy bond of friendship, relationship and team-spirit through sports.
- To encourage, promote and develop the Games and Sports in the University
- To plan and execute various Sports activities in order to provide opportunities for social contact and understanding amongst the students.
- To organize Inter University Sports Championships for male & female students player and awaken the interest towards sports.
- To arrange Coaching Training Camps and Courses for the benefit of the University Team/student players and Sports officials.
- To award medals, trophies, certificates prize money and sports scholarships etc. based on the University rules to the student Sports men / Sports women and Sports officials showing outstanding merit and performance.
- To encourage active participation in sports and recreation as the University intends to engage in annual intercollegiate sporting competitions, especially, in football and athletics.
Scope and Responsibilities
- Scouting for talented athletes who will perform for the University through the engagement of a team of scouts to go round sporting centres across the country to scout for talented athletes for admission into the university and to perform for the university.
- Mobilizing and training sportsmen and women for participation in inter universities games at the national, regional and international levels.
- Organising competitions among faculties for the possession of championship cups, especially in Soccer and Athletics.
- Provision and maintenance of facilities for various recreational games including Table Tennis, Badminton, Tennis, Volleyball, Chess etc.